Wednesday, January 2, 2008

That was quick!

Thursday March 22, 2007 - 09:07pm

That was quick!

The picture above is not mine, but it is what happened to my Marigolds in just two days. I woke up this morning to find that my Marigolds, planted March 20th, 2007 in peat moss pots, had jumped up out of their seeds and where now an inch tall! My Chamomile, planted the same day, had sprouted as well and my PennyRoyal, planted the day before, had started to germinate in spots too.

Several factors may have lead up to this excellent growth:

  1. Peat moss is great, I've always had excellent success with peat moss tablets.
  2. These plants get 16 hours of light everyday. They get full southeastern exposure plus a grow light that is set to a timer of 6am to 10pm.
  3. I was very careful to let the chlorine in the tap water evaporate prior to planting my seeds.
  4. They are inside, in my bedroom, toasty warm but not hot in a Jiffy 72 Greenhouse I bought at Wal-Mart for $6.00. Yes, $6.00, I didn't misquote. I haven't been able to find them anywhere else for even close to that price, I may have to stock up before they run out!
  5. My growing area is far enough away from the window to not be effected by drafts from outside and close enough to the heat register to stay warm at all times without getting dry or hot.
  6. My "sacred space" which includes my altar and various tools is right next to it. Yesterday was Vernal Equinox, which I associate elementally with Earth and things that grow in spring, and I performed rituals of "fruition of plans" and general fertility celebrations.

Yeah the last one is far-fetched, but positive intent is always a factor in life. Whatever the rhyme or reason for my spectacular growth, I hope I can repeat it again and again this year.

No comments: